June 4, 2019
- 6 contact hours/0.6 CEUs -
To register, please use your NLN.org account to sign in.
If you do not have an account, please select "Create a new account."
Unsure if you have an account with the NLN? Search for your ID »
New nurses require well-developed clinical reasoning skills in order to deliver safe, quality, effective, and compassionate care. Preparing students for practice requires that academic and practice-based educators use transformative strategies to develop clinical reasoning skills. Good teaching leads the learner to know the content; great teaching guides the learner to use the content. This interactive workshop will highlight the known area of risks as we transition our students through coursework and into professional practice. You will 1) get hands-on experiences in using the NLN Guide for Teaching Thinking to develop solid debriefing techniques; 2) practice debriefing techniques surrounding those known areas of risk with feedback from the experts; and 3) consider aspects of the teacher-learner relationship that can influence the facilitation of critical conversations across learning environments.
• Identify issues specific to practice
• Discuss the essential elements of the NLN Guide for Teaching Thinking
• Demonstrate skills in guiding critical conversations in the classroom, clinical, and post-clinical areas
AM: Foundational Concepts
• Current Perspectives
• Learning as Meaning Making
• Metacognition Micro-skills
• NLN Guide for Teaching Thinking (with Role Play Demo & Video for Practice)
PM: Application in Context
• Immersive Practice with Trigger Videos
• Critical Conversations in Clinical
• Critical Conversations in Classroom
• Special considerations
This workshop is part of an NLN series of faculty development intensives designed to prepare new faculty entering the academic nurse educator environment or enhance existing faculty knowledge and skills working within this contemporary education movement with enhanced testing and evaluation.
For additional information, contact Debra Mayberry.
Member $289 $329
Non-member $389 $429
*Early bird registration ends 5/4/2019
2600 Virginia Avenue NW, 8th Floor
Washington, DC, 20037
For hotel suggestions and ground transportation information, please click HERE.
Susan Gross Forneris
PhD, RN, CNE, CHSE-A
MA, RN, CHSE
MS, RN, PCCN-K, CHSE
PhD, RN, CHSE, CNE, CNL